Year 1 Newsletter 17th September
Thank you for your support in encouraging increased independence in the mornings. We have noticed a real difference already in the children’s ability to settle down to tasks in the morning.
We have had an exciting week filled with lots of superhero activities! The children have been getting used to the new routines and becoming more independent learners thanks to our new “Challenge Buttons” (maybe your child can tell you about these). We also had fun exploring our senses with some of the children tasting sweet and sour foods including lemon and sugar.
Literacy – Next week we will be using story maps to help us with our learning. We will learn a super story and have a go at writing our own!
Maths – We will be focussing on coins and money. The children will be using coins in lots of fun, practical ways and using them in our Year 1 shop.
At home – A few ideas for you to try at home this week:
- Look at some real coins and money and talk about their values. You could give your child the opportunity to buy something in a shop.
- Encourage your child to think about their senses. What can they see, hear, smell, taste and touch around them? Why are our senses important?
We encourage you to share a range of books at home in a fun and enjoyable way. Please do not worry if your child is sometimes reluctant to read their school books or if you feel that they are not being changed often enough. We would rather they read with you for pleasure, as we know we are also meeting their reading development needs at school in a variety of ways. Please also access your local library to borrow other books for you and your child to enjoy together. Sharing a book with your child is equally as valuable and important as hearing them read. Don’t forget that magazines, comics and other print in the environment also counts!
General Reminders –
- Please ensure your child has their PE kit in school each day (shorts, T-shirt & plimsolls/trainers). We do not have enough spare kit at school.
- Swimming and library take place on Tuesdays each week. Please ensure your child brings their kit and book to return.
- Please also ensure that all of your child’s clothing and belongings are clearly labelled so if they are lost they can be returned easily. If your child has already lost something please check the lost property box (via the school office).
Have a super weekend!
Miss Mabin and Mrs Burkill