Year 1 Newsletter 10th September
Welcome to Year 1! We hope you have had a lovely time over the summer and your children are settling well into their new classes. We are looking forward to having an exciting and productive year and hope you enjoy the new challenges and approaches that Year 1 has to offer! In our team this year we have class teachers Mrs Burkill and Miss Mabin and learning support assistants Mrs Weber and Miss Gregory. Mrs Tomlin also joins us on a Wednesday afternoon.
Our aim is to ensure that the children experience a smooth transition from the Foundation Stage to Key Stage 1. The Year 1 curriculum builds upon and extends the experiences that children have had in Reception. Learning through play will continue to be an important part of the school day. The children will gradually be eased into more formal learning as the year progresses, so that they remain motivated, enthused and eager learners.
In Year 1 we encourage the children to become more independent in many areas. We ask that you support us in building their independence by reminding them to take ownership of their belongings. This means putting them away themselves in the morning and collecting their things at home time. This will help the children in all areas of their learning and means they will become more resilient and independent learners.
Literacy – Next week we will be writing speech for superhero comics. We will introduce the children to exclamation marks and encourage them to use them appropriately.
Maths – We will be adding and subtracting using a variety of fun, playful resources. The children will also be encouraged to record their learning using the symbols +/-/=
At home – A few ideas for you to try at home this week:
• Discuss with your child “If you were a superhero – what would you be like? What would your super powers be?”
• Talk about the human body and why it is “super”.
General Reminders –
• Please ensure your child has their PE kit in school each day (shorts, T-shirt & plimsolls/trainers).
• Swimming and library take place on Tuesdays each week. Please ensure your child brings their kit and book to return.
• Please also ensure that all of your child’s clothing and belongings are clearly labelled so if they are lost they can be returned easily. If your child has already lost something please check the lost property box (via the school office).
On Thursday afternoons Miss Mabin and Mrs Burkill will be out of class. Mrs Outlaw and Mrs Hunt will be teaching the children during these sessions and will spend time in each class. Please be patient at the end of the day as they get to know who collects your child. Please let us know if someone other than a parent is collecting at the end of the day.
Our brand new school website will be up and running soon. Each class will have their own page so look out for news, photos and useful information on there in the next few weeks!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Mrs Burkill and Miss Mabin